Friday, October 30, 2009

Night Crawlers

All Angelina jokes aside, the past few days that I have spent in Cambodia have affected my life deeply. I am seeing poverty on a level that I never have felt before.
I am approached daily by children, often in packs, on the street begging for food or money. It is a regular occurrence to walk by a mini-mart or by a fruit stand and have a small child take my hand and literally cry in hunger.


 I was not aware of Cambodia's long history of war and genocide before I came here. But have learned that only in the past ten years has the kingdom seen a glimmer of political stability. And although the country is now fairly safe to travel in, the devastating effects to Cambodian society, infrastructure and the economy is still being felt today. One of the greatest challenges facing the development of the country is access to basic human rights, more specifically, education. Half the population is under 15 years old and many have lost parents. Orphans are “rescued” and forced to beg or "work" full-time in the street. They work to support themselves and for their adult guardians. The adults who "care for" and organize the children are typically handicapped from mine blasts and cannot work themselves. Hidden in alleyways, he waits for the children to return with a shiny American coin or slice of bread.

'Cause we all know that little Bambi eyes are much easier to give to than ANY adult.

Kids here are not kids; they are full force professional sales people. They may not know how to read but they can speak to you in English, French and Chinese. They know the capital of your state. They are CUTE. A child can lead a foreign hand into a shop or collect a dollar before they are out of diapers.


Despite the emotional battery that I have endured, I am walking away in awe of the spirit of the Cambodian people. As a culture devastated from war, genocide, corruption and greed, they still are so proud for their country. 

I could not be more inspired, as an educator, to give children the tools they need not only improve their own lives, but to build sovereignty.

If you are interested in volunteering, donating or learning more about children's rights in Cambodia check out:
http://www.cofcambodia.org/


Happy Halloween! See you back in Thailand.
Sunrise at Angor Wat

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely love reading your updates. What an incredible experience you are having...I honor your bravery and adventerous spirit. Continue to soak in everything and please keep writing :)
    love,
    Lex

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks lex! so nice to hear from you! email me jrc6096@alum.uncw.edu

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cambodia broke my heart. Let's go back one day as goody two shoes and make a small difference in the world.

    ReplyDelete