Saturday, October 3, 2009

maps are for kids



So I made it to Bangkok. Sweet.

That was an adventure in itself (cough cough thanks stone street.) I packed everything the night before: plane ride.. black out.. sushi in Tokyo... black out... customs..cab ride..chaos..blackout... pretty standard.

Anywho, Thailand is, thus far, everything and more. It has been relatively easy for me to cruise around and communicate, however it did take me about 24 hours in the country to care about getting a map. When I did, I figured out the local longboat river taxi system and went to check out some temples. I have been devouring fantastic thai street food and getting massages/pedicures for such ungodly amounts of money that I won't rub it in by telling you how cheap it is.
I like Bangkok a lot-- the bells, smells and colors are sensory overload- in the best kind of way. The palaces are incredibly inspiring and have the magic of creating time travel down to an art beyond words. On Khao San road, where the monks in their whimsical robes weave through the hip thai college kids and burmese street vendors banter at the Australian-Euro-hippie backpacker trash that is, life is a straight up freak show. Clearly, I fit right in. I only wish I had not brought so much luggage because anything you could ever want, or not want, can be bought here for nothing. (Note to friends- bring an EMPTY suitcase.) I am trying my best to learn how to use my electronics.. I have never been a camera person (despite my attempts in professional wedding photography) but like my thai, spice tolerance and jet-lag-- all things come with time.

Crusin' solo at the Grand palace- I got a Japanese girl to take this for me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment