Sunday, October 25, 2009

Mai Pen Rai


Mai Pen Rai is a phrase that Thai people say all the time that pretty much sums up the mentality of Thailand. It literally translates to It's nothing, but can be used in a looser context as: its whatever, no worries, oh well, nevermind.. you get the idea. Obviously a pretty laid back place but it can be a little frustrating when these things apply to .. say.. your job and/or finding a place to live. My unplanned-plan in Thailand and taken the expected, unexpected, turn that I figured would happen at some point, and I am embracing it fully. It's a long and complicated story that I don't really feel like explaining but the current memo reads: Taking a three week trek across Cambodia and northern Thailand while I wait to be placed with a teaching job.

Doesn't being unemployed suck?

In other notes:
  • I love teaching way more than I expected and find it unbelievably rewarding.
  • I secretly enjoy pretending like I am being deported everytime I get on a ferry boat.
  • I am still holding strong in my refusal to sing karaoke despite its blasphemous popularity.
  • And I have officially overcome my hiccuping reaction to spicy food.

Don't ask me about the bike wreck- I don't want to talk about it. And yes, I fully plan on bringing back 5 kids from Cambodia.

No comments:

Post a Comment